Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dashing Tweeds and Bespoke Tailors


I was given a cryptic txt by a friend in Oakland about some new bike clothing, something about 'bsppoke tailoring'. I googled the site- it's under construction- then just googled the phrase, and discovered an entire new world of bike clothing, and it's not all black, or womyns cut, or 8 way stretch lycra. It's Tweed. Hunting tweed. The original outdoor and active wear.

On friday, Velo Orange was visited by a CR List ride. 2 of the riders were in their best British sporting regalia. At first I thought it odd, but after they left, I came to understand the advantages of the clothing choice- snug fitting, warm wool, not a bunch of puffy stuff to get caught in the wind, wheel or chain. And you could hop off the bike and walk into any store without looking like an alien with garish jerseys and obscene 80's style sausage wear .

At Interbike I was checking out Showers Pass (6MB PDF- careful!) and Sheila Moons new clothing lines. Both are Americanized versions of a resurgence of tailored British tweeds. It's a younger(and Gary Fisher) generation discovering tailors like London based Dashing Tweeds line of caps, capes, and knickers. Dashing Tweeds updated the base fabric with 3m reflective yarn and teflon to make them a little more waterproof, but the classic style is not lost. They are not as restrictive as designs in the past, making them much more useful for todays style of riding. No matter how old shcool your riding style is, you are still much more active and physical on a bike than anyone ever was in 1910 London or NYC.

Showers Pass and Sheila Moon uses the fabric as a fashion statement, using cuts and styles already in their line. The bespoke tailoring style is borrowing from the equestrian and Bicycle Repairman past moreso than Showers Pass and Ms. Moon. Both are valid and both are really cool. With the fixxie crowd making cycling caps tres chic and ubiquitous there's room for another, more rational mode of clothing for urban and path cyclists.

2 comments:

Adrienne Johnson said...

If you were looking for B.Spoke tailoring, you can find it under Joy Rider-
http://www.joyriderclothing.com/joyofget.html

I have purchased items from this amazing tailor (who works out of a Farmer's Market!!!) and her things are wonderful. Her knickers are beautifully well tailored and I get compliments on them all the time!

Anonymous said...

Are you interested in tailoring?Thanks to today’s hi-tech world, now you can order bespoke suits and shirts online too. Surprised!
Euro Tailors is based in Hong Kong and have been providing custom made suits & shirts since 1997. Experience an easier way of shopping for bespoke suits & shirts at Euro Tailors.